Bài tập Can, Could cực hay có lời giải
PHẦN I. LÝ THUYẾT
1. Can – Could
Can và could đều có nghĩa là có thể, trong đó dạng phủ định của can là cannot (can’t), dạng phủ định của could là could not (could’t).
*Cách sử dụng:
- Khả năng có thể làm gì.
Eg: She can run quite fast. (Cô ấy có thể chạy khá nhanh.)
- Lời xin phép
Eg: Can/ Could I borrow your notebook? (Tôi có thể mượn vở của bạn được không?)
- Sự cho phép:
Eg: You can/ could borrow my helmet. (Bạn có thể mượn mũ bảo hiểm của tôi.)
*Cấu trúc: S + can/could + V (nguyên thể)
2. Be able to
Be able to có thể được dùng để chỉ khả năng, thay thế cho can và could. Tuy nhiên, Be able to có thể được sử dụng ở cả 3 thì hiện tại, quá khứ và tương lai.
Eg: I am able to work under pressure. (Tôi có khả năng làm việc dưới áp lực.)
Cấu trúc: S + tobe + able to + V (nguyên thể)
3. So sánh Can – Could – Be able to
Diễn tả khả năng ở hiện tại
Dùng trong câu xin phép, yêu cầu, đề nghị
She can repair her bike herself.
Can I go out ?
Dùng để diễn tả khả năng ở quá khứ
Diễn tả một khả năng ở tương lai
Diễn tả sự gợi ý
Dùng trong câu xin phép, yêu cầu, đề nghị với sắc thái trang trọng hơn.
He could learn by heart alphabet when he was four years-old.
Our flight could be delayed in 2 hours because of the bad weather.
You could phone to him to ask for help.
Could I borrow your computer?
Be able to
Dùng để diễn tả khả năng, có thay thế cho can/ could
Are you able to speak Spanish?
PHẦN II. BÀI TẬP ÁP DỤNG
Task 1. Write the phrases in brackets in their correct forms into the gaps.
1. Last week we............ swimming, this week we can't. (can/ to go)
2. Maybe the Smiths............ a new house next year. (can/ to build)
3. If you try hard, you............ your examinations. (can/ to pass)
4. When I was five, I............. (not/ can/ to swim)
5. Dennis............the trumpet after four months. (can/ to play)
6. Luke has passed his driving test, now he............ a car. (can/ to drive)
7. I............to him on the phone for three weeks last month. (not/ can/ to speak)
8. Alex............his homework when his desk is in such a mess. (not/ can/ to do)
9. They were so busy, they............me. (not/ can/ to text)
10. Lisa............ her dress. She can wear it again. (can/ to clean)
1. could go
2. will be able to build
3. can pass
4. could not swim
5. could play
6. can drive
7. could not speak
8. will not be able to do
9. could not text
10. has been able to clean
Task 2. Now that we've refreshed the basics, see if you can complete the following sentences correctly.
1.___ you hear the fireworks from your house last night?
a. Can b. Can't c. Could
2. Do you think you ___ write that report by Tuesday? I know you're very busy.
a. will be able to b. couldn't c. have been able to
3. I ___ touch my toes. See!
a. could b. can c. will be able to
4. I ___ spend another moment in that restaurant. It was too noisy.
a. can't b. couldn't c. have been able to
5. I ___ never seem to get the temperature right.
a. can b. can't c. to be able to
6. ___ play professional tennis, you must be extremely fit.
a. Couldn't b. Will you be able to c. To be able to
7. ___ you play an instrument?
a. Able to b. Couldn't c. Can
8. I'm afraid I ___ attend the meeting, I'm on business in Japan.
a. won't be able to b. will be able to c. can
9. ___ you have brought it to me at work?
a. Couldn't b. Cannot c. Will be able to
10. They ___ save the men from the sinking ship.
a. were able to b. was able to c. could to
1. c. Could
2. a. will be able to
3. b. can
4. b. couldn't
5. a. can
6. c. To be able to
7. c. Can
8. a. won't be able to
9. a. Couldn't
10. a. were able to
Task 3. Chia động từ trong ngoặc.
1. Maybe the Smiths............ a new house next year. (can/ to build)
2. If you try hard, you............ your examinations. (can/ to pass)
3. When I was five, I............. (not/ can/ to swim)
4. Dennis............the trumpet after four months. (can/ to play)
5. I............to him on the phone for three weeks last month. (not/ can/ to speak)
6. Alex............his homework when his desk is in such a mess. (not/ can/ to do)
7. The car fell in to river. The worker..... get it out but the driver was dead.
8. I knew the town so I .... advise him where to go.
9. Despite the arrival of the storm, they....... finish the football match.
10. After his car crashes he was so confused that he .... tell the police who he was or where he was going.
1. will be able to build
2. can pass
3. could not swim
4. could play
5. could not speak
6. will not be able to do
7. was able to
9. were able to
Task 4. Complete the sentences. Use will be able to, can, could, and the verbs from the box.
guard make recognise do
1. This robot ______ our faces when the scientists improve it.
2. Home robots are more useful today – they ______ the bed.
3. Even in the past, robots ______ the laundry.
4. Now, robots _____ the house. When there’s a problem, they send a message to our mobile.
1. will be able to recognise
2. can make
3. could do
4. can guard
Task 5. Complete the sentences using can or (be) able to. Use can if possible otherwise use (be) able to
1. Gary has travelled a lot. He five languages.
2. I very well recently.
3. Nicole .... drive, but she hasn't got a car.
4. I used to .... stand on my head, but I can't do it now.
5. I can't understand Martinn, I've never .... understand him.
6. I can't see you on Friday, but I .... meet you on Saturday morning.
7. Ask Cathernine about your problem. She might .... help you.
4. be able to
5. been able to
7. be able to
Task 6. Comple the answers to the questions with was/were able to
1 A: Did everybody escape from the fire?
B: Yes, although the fire spread quickly, everybody was able to escape.
2 A: Did you finish your work this afternoon?
B: Yes, there was nobody to disturb me, so I .............
3 A: Did you have difficulty finding our house?
B: Not really. Your directions were good and we .............
4 A: Did the thief get away?
B: Yes. No-one realized what was happening and the thief .....
2. was able to finish it
3. were able to find it
4. was able to get away
Task 7. Fill the gaps with can,can't,could,couldn't,will be able to or won't be able to.
1. In the past, robots..............................teach in classes, but they can now.
2. Robots can't talk now.In 2030,they ......................................talk to people.
3. Mr Van ..........................run very fast when he was young.Now he.........................
4. In 2030, robots will be able to talk to us, but they...................do more complicated things.
5. My little sister is very clever. She........................already read some words.
2. will be able to
3. could …… can’t
4. won’t able to
Task 8. Read and complete the interview about home robots with will be able to or won’t be able to.
Interviewer: Robots are already in factories. Will people have robots at home?
Robot expert: Yes, they will. I think they (1)______ do all of our housework.
Interviewer: But they (2)______ replace the personal computer. Is that right?
Robot expert: That’s true, but one day they (3)______ use computers.
Interviewer: Amazing! What other things (4)______ home robots ______ do?
Robot expert: Well, they will be able to do the gardening but they (5)______ play sports and games with you.
1.will be able to
2. won’t be able to
3. will be able to
4.will (home robots) be able to
5. won’t be able to
Task 9. Use the words given and will/ won’t be able to to make future abilities.
1. Teaching robots/ check your health.
→ Teaching robots won’t be able to check your health.
2. Computers/ do the laundry.
3. Smart phones/ recognize a voice.
4. Worker robots/play sports.
5. Home robots/ make breakfasts.
6. Teaching robots/ give lessons.
2. Computers won't be able to do the laundry.
3. Smart phones will be able to recognize a voice
4. Worker robots won't be able to play sports.
5. Home robots will be able to make breakfasts.
6. Teachinh robots will be able to give lessons
Task 10. Complete the following sentences, using couldn’t and the verbs in thebox.
listen find finish play
understand sleep go hear
1. We____________ tennis because the weather was bad.
2. Tom_________ to music because his CD player was broken.
3. I was very tired but I___________.
4. My dad____________ to work because he was ill.
5. I____________ Jane because I don’t speak German.
6. We____________ the teacher because the students were very noisy.
7. Phong_____________ his pen. It wasn’t in his school bag.
8. Mai wasn’t hungry. She______________ her lunch.
1. couldn’t play
2. couldn’t listen
3. couldn’t sleep
4. couldn’t go
5. couldn’t understand
6. couldn’t hear
7. couldn’t find
8. couldn’t finish
Xem thêm các bài tập Ngữ pháp Tiếng Anh cực hay có lời giải chi tiết khác:
- Bài tập May, Might cực hay có lời giải
- Bài tập Have to, Must, Need cực hay có lời giải
- Bài tập Should, Ought to, Had better cực hay có lời giải
- Bài tập Modal verb + Have + Past participle cực hay có lời giải