Bài tập Tiếng Anh 11 Unit 15: Space Conquest
Bài tập Tiếng Anh 11 Unit 15: Space Conquest
I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others:
1. a. happen b. remind c. wear d. rent
2. a. ton b. chang c. mil d. hero
3. a. fifteen b. mou c. souern d. auor
4. a. rai b. ten c. nur d. increa
5. a. join b. walk c. stepp d. launch
II. Choose the word or phrase - a, b, c or d - that best completes the sentence or substitutes for the underlined word or phrase:
6. She is never satisfied ______ what she's got.
a. to b. with c. for d. in .
7. In 1961 Yuri Gagarin lifted ______ into space aboard the Vostok 1.
a. off b. up c. on d. Ø
8. After landing, the team members were greeted like ______ heroes.
a. conquer b. conquering
c. conqueror d. conquest
9. No one knew what would happen to a human being in space.
a. exactly b. clearly
c. carefully d. vividly
10. The were able to send the information back to the earth.
a. spaceships b. space stations
c. spacemen d. space shots
11. No one is better cook than his mother, ______?
a. is she b. isn't she
c. are they d. aren’t they
12. Do it right now, ______?
a. will you b. shall you
c. do you d. don't you
13. There are no easy ways to learn a foreign language, ______?
a. are they b. are there
c. aren't they d. aren't there
14. He seldom goes to the library, ______?
a. doesn’t he b. is he
c. does he d. isn’t he
15. Let's go for a long walk, ______?
a. will we b. shall we
c. don't you d. do you
III. Give the correct form of the given words to complete the following sentences:
16. People knew little about life in space before Gagarin’s ___________ flight. (history)
17. She got great __________ from helping people study English. (satisfy)
18. ____________, Gagarin died in a plane crash on a routine training flight in March 1968. (fortune)
19. How would the mind deal with the ___________ tension? (psychology)
20. The ___________ flight of Shenzhou 5 marked a milestone in China’s space project. (success)
IV. Complete each of the following tag questions:
21. These sausages are delicious, _________? - They certainly are.
22. You haven’t lived here long, _________? - No, only six months.
23. It’s quite a big garden, __________? - Yes, there’s plenty of room.
24. There aren’t many people here yet, __________? - No, but it’s till quite early.
25. You are Brian’s friend, _________? - Yes, I’m Justin.
V. Complete the sentences with the correct form of could/be able to. Use the negative if necessary:
26. Suddenly all the lights went out. We _________ see anything.
27. The computer went wrong, but luckily Emily _________ put it right again.
28. There was a big party last night. You __________ hear the music half a kilometer away.
29. I learnt English as a child. I __________ speak English when I was seven.
30. The bus was full. I __________ find a seat anywhere.
VI. Read the passage carefully, then choose the correct answer:
There is one planet that still fascinates and teases scientists mainly because it doesn't have an atmosphere to obscure observation, yet it is not big enough for sufficiently accurate telescopic observation. The fact that it is also very close to the sun also makes it difficult for astronomers.
However, space telescopes have told us a lot more about Mercury. It is rather similar to Earth's moon and to Mars. There are mountainous areas dotted with craters and large valleys which are uncratered. The moon's valleys have fewer cracks and the ridges are smoother. Mercury's valleys are filled with volcanic rocks, similar to on the moon, yet there is no evidence of volcanoes, even extinct ones, on Mercury, as there is on the both Mars and the moon, and of course here on Earth.
So, scientists presume the valleys on Mercury were caused by different things, that is to say not by volcanoes, but by very large meteorites, which also caused the cracks in the terrain and left the ridges rough and uneven. More and better photos of Mercury are needed to prove what are at present at best only hypotheses.
(*) Từ mới:
tease: quấy rầy;
obscure: che khuất, làm tối, làm mờ;
observation: khả năng quan sát, năng lực quan sát, sự quan sát;
telescope: kính thiên văn;
astronomer: nhà thiên văn học;
crater: hố (bom), miệng núi lửa;
crack: đường nứt, đường nẻ;
ridge: chóp, chỏm, ngọn, đỉnh (núi);
presume: cho là, coi như là, cầm bằng là; đoán chừng;
meteorite: đá trời, thiên thạch;
terrain: (quân sự), (địa lý,địa chất) địa thế, địa hình địa vật;
hypotheses: giả thuyết;
31. What is the topic of this passage?
a. The planet, Mercury b. Observation of planets
c. The Earth's moon d. Astronomers' difficulties
32. Why does Mercury still tease scientists?
a. Because it has an atmosphere which obscures observation.
b. Because it is too close to the sun.
c. Because it is too small.
d. Because it is difficult for space probes to get close to.
33. What is true about Mercury but not true about the moon or Mars?
a. The valleys are filled with volcanic rocks.
b. There are no volcanoes.
c. The valleys are uncratered.
d. There are hilly regions.
34. What does the author imply space telescopes can do better than land-based telescopes?
a. Show, the volcanoes on Mercury.
b. Show the meteorites which hit Mercury.
c. Show what caused Mercury's valleys.
d. Show more of the planet, Mercury.
35. What can we infer from the passage that astronomers still need to get more detailed observation of Mercury?
a. Better and more space telescopes.
b. More hypotheses.
c. Larger space telescopes.
d. More ways to prove hypotheses.
VII. Choose the phrase that best completes the sentence:
36. __________ by meteorites whose impact formed craters of all size.
a. The surface of the moon was shaped
b. The moon whose surface shaped
c. The surface of the shaped moon
d. The surface was forming the shape of the moon
37. Many craters on the Earth's surface were probably formed by very large meteorites _________________.
a. when smashed into the ground was an explosion
b. which smashed into the ground and an explosion
c. smashing into the ground and exploding
d. they smashed into the ground and exploded
38. Throughout history, the moon has inspired not only song and dance __________________.
a. but poetry and prose as well
b. but poetry also prose
c. together with poetry and prose
d. and also poetry and prose
39. Claudius Ptolemy, __________________ of the first century A.D., left a good description of the geocentric theory.
a. he was an astronomer and a philosopher
b. being an astronomer and a philosopher
c. an astronomer and who was a philosopher
d. who was an astronomer and a philosopher
40. __________ the fifth largest among the nine planets that make up our solar system.
a. The Earth being b. The Earth is
c. That the Earth is d. Being the Earth
|Câu||Hướng dẫn||Câu||Hướng dẫn|
|1. d||/s/, còn lại: /z/||21.||aren’t they|
|2. b||/iz/, còn lại: /z/||22.||have you|
|3. c||/ð/, còn lại: /θ/||23.||isn’t it|
|4. a||/z/, còn lại: /s/||24.||are there|
|5. a||/d/, còn lại: /t/||25.||aren’t you|
|6. b||be satisfied with;||26.||couldn’t|
|7. a||lift off: phóng (tên lửa, tàu vũ trụ);||27.||was able to|
|8. b||conquering: chinh phục, chế ngự;||28.||could|
|9. a||precisely = exactly: chính xác;||29.||could/was able to|
|10. c||astronaut = spaceman: nhà du hành vũ trụ;||30.||couldn’t/wasn’t able to|
|11. c||31. a|
|12. a||32. c||Dẫn chứng: “There is one planet that still fascinates and teases scientists mainly because it doesn't have an atmosphere to obscure observation, yet it is not big enough for sufficiently accurate telescopic observation.”|
|13. b||33. b||Dẫn chứng: “…yet there is no evidence of volcanoes, even extinct ones, on Mercury, as there is on the both Mars and the moon…”|
|14. c||34. d||Dẫn chứng: “More and better photos of Mercury are needed to prove what are at present at best only hypotheses.”|
|15. b||35. a|
Giải bài tập | Để học tốt Tiếng Anh 11 Unit 15 khác:
- Mục lục giải bài tập tiếng anh 11 full
A. Reading (trang 166-167-168-169 SGK Tiếng Anh 11) Before you read. Work with a partner. Ask and answer ... While you read. Task 1. Match the headings to ... Task 2. Read the passage again ... After you read. Complete the summary ...
C. Listening (trang 172-173 SGK Tiếng Anh 11) Before you listen. Work in pairs. Match the pictures ... While you listen. Task 1. Listen and decide ... Task 2. Listen again and answer ... After you listen. Discuss the following questions. ...
D. Writing (trang 174 SGK Tiếng Anh 11) Writing a biography. Task 1. Below is some information about Neil Armstrong, the first ... Task 2. Write a biography of Neil Armstrong from the information given in Task 1.
Từ vựng và Ngữ pháp Unit 15
Giới thiệu kênh Youtube VietJack
Xem thêm tài liệu giúp học tốt môn Tiếng Anh lớp 11 hay khác:
- Giải sách bài tập Tiếng Anh 11
- 960 bài tập trắc nghiệm Tiếng Anh 11 có đáp án
- Bộ Đề thi Tiếng Anh 11 năm 2021 - 2022 có đáp án
Ngân hàng trắc nghiệm lớp 11 tại khoahoc.vietjack.com
- Hơn 75.000 câu trắc nghiệm Toán 11 có đáp án
- Hơn 50.000 câu trắc nghiệm Hóa 11 có đáp án chi tiết
- Gần 40.000 câu trắc nghiệm Vật lý 11 có đáp án
- Kho trắc nghiệm các môn khác
CHỈ CÒN 250K 1 KHÓA HỌC BẤT KÌ, VIETJACK HỖ TRỢ DỊCH COVID
Đăng ký khóa học tốt 11 dành cho teen 2k4 tại khoahoc.vietjack.com
Đã có app VietJack trên điện thoại, giải bài tập SGK, SBT Soạn văn, Văn mẫu, Thi online, Bài giảng....miễn phí. Tải ngay ứng dụng trên Android và iOS.
Nhóm học tập facebook miễn phí cho teen 2k5: fb.com/groups/hoctap2k5/Theo dõi chúng tôi miễn phí trên mạng xã hội facebook và youtube:
Nếu thấy hay, hãy động viên và chia sẻ nhé! Các bình luận không phù hợp với nội quy bình luận trang web sẽ bị cấm bình luận vĩnh viễn.